In 2018, GeoMeans offers you skills courses at Maastricht Summer School for the sixth time. Leonhardt van Efferink teaches you the skills needed to study political and country risks, geopolitical scenarios and frames, and texts and photos in the (social) media. Moreover, Leonhardt helps you with developing your analytical framework and apply it to a country/data source of your choice. Each of his courses enables you to benefit from his vast research experience in academia, government and the private sector.
Leonhardt offers you the following courses in 2018:
▪ Country Risk Analysis: Growth Potential, Economic Policy and External Finances of Emerging Markets
▪ Political Risk Analysis: Domestic Factors, International Relations and Economic Impact Assessment
▪ Geopolitical Scenario Planning: National Security, Geo-Economics and Foreign Policy Strategy
▪ Geopolitical Framing Analysis: National Images, World Views and Global Dividing Lines [this course was cancelled due to insufficient applications]
▪ Textual Media Analysis: Critical Discourse Analysis, News Framing and Qualitative Research Design
▪ Visual Media Analysis: News Photos, Text-Image Relations and Multimodal Discourses/Frames
Each course costs €600, and there is no funding available. The course fee excludes your journey to Maastricht, your accomodation and other expenses during the course. The courses are taught in English and equal 2 ECTS (upon successful completion). You can apply for one or more courses at the Maastricht University website (application process opening soon) until three weeks before the course starts. Furthermore, you can rent affordable accomodation at Maastricht Housing.
To give you an idea of the experiences of former Summer Schools students of Leonhardt, here are some fragments from LinkedIn recommendations:
▪ Véronica from Peru: “Leonhardt is a very dedicated teacher. I really enjoyed his CRA summer course at Maastricht University because I had the opportunity to debate and dialogue with different students from around the globe and contrast our experiences. Leonhardt was very committed to every single one of his students making sure that we had the adequate material to do our research.”
▪ Ramona from Italy: “Leonhardt is capable to build an interactive environment by including everyone in the discussion and making the right questions as raising the appropriate problems in order to support you, through a critical thinking and analysis, to get by yourself to your own conclusions. In my opinion this process helps you to assimilate the information he is giving to you and to make it properly yours. His commitment, his energy and his willingness to develop your own opinion about the topics discussed are the features I appreciated most.”
▪ Maguy from Lebanon: “Although it was my first academic encounter with the topic of geopolitics, the two-weeks summer school courses were amazing! Mainly because Leonhardt was very helpful. He made a point to answer all our questions and concerns. A tip for future students: ask questions! There are no stupid questions! Leonhardt is kind enough to give you as much time as you need!! He will even go beyond helping with the coursework and give you tips on your career and/or academic future!”